Taking the Lead From Blair

Like him or not, Tony Blair showed tremendous class today when he announced the definite date of his departure - June 27. During a speech at the Trimdon Labor Club, Blair, as only Blair does, used his skilled oratory skills to convey a simple message to the people of Briton
"I ask you to accept one thing. Hand on heart, I did what I thought was right. I may have been wrong. That's your call. But believe one thing: I did what I thought was right for our country."
This humility is needed on both sides of the pond as of late. As Blair's popularity has plummeted because of Britain's involvement in Iraq, and failure to revamp important domestic areas such as health care, and policing, modesty, honesty, and respect for the people is what Britons wanted and needed to hear.
It is also what American's would like to hear from President Bush as well. While President Bush has said numerous times over that things in Iraq have not been perfect, and we have made mistakes, he has never once clearly said I'm sorry for my actions - not necessarily for getting in the war - but for not trying all diplomatic outlets before going to war, holding those that planned the war accountable, and for misleading Americans byway of publicity stunts like that on the USS Abraham on May 1, 2003. I don't not believe that he has or ever will intend to hurt Americans, but his message should be just as loud and clear as Blairs: "hold me accountable if you must, I understand, but I just want you to know I did what I thought was best for this country, and I'm sorry." Two simple words -I'm sorry- would mean a lot to the American people, his image, and his legacy.
No comments:
Post a Comment